Tuesday, August 25, 2009

1st things First....

Hailey started 1st grade today! She was so excited last night she even put herself to bed! She had been to this school for Kindergarten so I felt comfortable she would know her way around. But just to be sure I walked her in. I asked if she remembered where her new class was. Joe took her to the "Meet the Teacher" night because I had to work. I didnt have a clue where to go. But, off we went down the hall ways. Hailey kept saying things like "yep, down this way....past the Library" and "One more turn and we are close". She lead us all the way to the 1st grade Hall. She didnt quite remember which class it was though. So, I found her class by reading the teachers name on the outside of the door. We walked in and her teacher Mrs. Toney was very sweet. She walked Hailey to her desk and had her hang her backpack near her cubby. I realized I no longer needed to stand around and hugged her goodbye. I was so proud of her for remembering how to get to the class on her own. It made me realize that she is becoming so independent.

After school was over I was anxious to hear about her day, so I called her from work. She said the cutest thing! I asked her "Hailey, did you have a good day?" She said "Yes I did, we had fun" I said "Thats great! Im glad you had fun" and then she said "Mommy, My teacher said she didnt know we were that smart! We surprised her with how smart we are. And now she knows we are smart kids!" Melted my heart! I told Hailey I was glad her teacher could see how smart she was. She was eager to go to bed tonight so she could start day 2. It helps that she has a few kids from her Kindergarten class with her including her best friend Jasmine. :) Jasmine made sure to let me know she was Hailey's "Best friend". That made me smile.

Looking forward to Megan starting Kindergarten next year! She cant wait either. I know its not easy for her to watch Hailey leave every day. Hailey is her best friend and I know she misses her company during the day. When its time to get Hailey from school Megan is the first one at the door ready to go. Im very grateful for the wonderful little girls I have. Makes me a very proud Mommy. :)



1 comment:

Terri said...

So cute! Glad she enjoyed her first day!